Friday, October 17, 2008

Is It Really That Time Again?

Well ladies and gentleman... the holidays are right around the corner. Halloween, the start of the holiday season is almost here! This means that as soon as the ghoulish decorations come down, it's time to put up the Christmas decorations in the store. Granted, we still have Thanksgiving to get through, but when it comes to the stores there really isn't much that they put out.

In these tough times it's not that hard to find people (more than usual) who don't want to talk about Christmas simply because they aren't going to have the "normal" gift giving money. I honestly have been thinking about bringing up the idea of just either postponing or canceling the holiday for the older people in the family. I say just the older people because no kid should have to go without a Christmas when they're growing up. Christmas is, along with many people, my favorite holiday but it's not because of the presents. Let's face it, the gifts are always nice but that's not what the holidays are about. Many people forget that Christmas isn't about who can buy the biggest gift but about spending time with your family and being thankful for what you have.

Each and every year the holidays sneak up on people; while the days go by so slow, the weeks just fly by! We're half-way through October already!!! Fairly soon here in the Metro area we'll have one radio station playing Christmas music 24/7 until December 26th. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Christmas music but that's just a little extreme. I'm sure, however, that I'll find myself going back and forth between 104.5 (Christmas over-kill station) and others that I normally listen to... this way I'll be able to get a little more variety.

I know that some people, for whatever reason don't like the holidays and that's cool with me; to each his own, but please don't try and impose that on others. There may have been something that happened in your past to make you not like this time of the year or you may just simply not like what the holidays have become, but there are some people, children included who live for Thanksgiving and Christmas for one reason or another.

I have been lucky enough to have been brought up in a family where I was taught what the real meaning behind the holidays is. My family is in no way "comfortable" when it comes to money so we've learned to live with what we have and that we can count on one another for just about anything. This was reinforced each and every year when I was growing up at Thanksgiving. Granted, we were all looking forward to Grandma's Thanksgiving dinner and Grandpa's homemade sides and desserts but we were, at the same time glad to be together if only for a couple of hours. This really is the time of the year to come together; set aside your differences with others if at all possible.

With all of that being said, let me be the first to wish all of you Happy Holidays!

No comments: